Home > Tours > Christian Tours >
Depart from USA gateways via Istanbul to Thessaloniki evening flight.
Day 2 – Saturday
Arrive Thessaloniki airport evening around 09.00pm. Passport and Customs control, drive with charter mini bus to Ouranoupolis. Arrive hotel (Makedonia or Pyrgos) near midnight. Hotel (Cacak).
Day 3 – Sunday
Hotel Ouranopolis breakfast -Transfer with boat liner from the port of Ouranopolis 10.00am to port of Jovanica, transfer by bus to Monastery Chilandari. Agia Oros is the oldest monastic republic still In existence, a state-within a state and a living museum and spiritual center of Christian Orthodox World. Holy Mountain or Mount Athos is simply one of the most beautiful places on earth, more like a fantasy than what we know of a reality. Today there are 20 monasteries of which 17 are Greek, one Russian, one Serbian and one Bulgarian. The Monastery Chilandar is first mentioned in a Greek manuscript of 1015. It was certainly established a good hundred years earlier, a certain George Chelandarios (boatman), was probably the founder of the monastery. Chilandar was renewed by the Grand Zhupan of Serbia Stefan Nemanja (the monk Simeon) and his son Rastko (Saint Sava). Evening service, dinner and overnight at dormitory of Monastery Chilandari.
Day 4 – Monday
Monastery Chilandar – early morning service-breakfast-walking to neighboring Esphigmenou Monastery, stand on the north-east side of the peninsula in a precipitous location by the sea. Esphigmenou’s most treasured possession is the icon of Our Lady Eleousa, in addition to relics of saints, the monastery possesses the so-called cross of Pucheria and a large part of the tent used by Napoleon. Dinner and overnight at dormitory monastery Chilandari.
Day 5 – Tuesday
Monastery Chilandari – morning liturgy -breakfast transfer to port of Jovanica 10.00am, sail to Port of Daphne. Transfer by bus to town of Karey’s, administrative center of Mount of Athos. The most important building in Karyes is the Church of the Protaton, dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos, which is the oldest church on the Holy Mountain and Skeat of St. Sava, afternoon we will visit Monastery Koutioumousiou was founded in the 14th century. It occupies the six ranks in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. The most impressive is the chapel of the dread Protection of the Virgin, within the catholicons, to the left of eso-narthex, built in 1733 and houses the thaumaturgical icon of the Virgin with the infant Christ. Other chapels are dedicated to the Saint Natalia, Saints Kosmas and Damián, All Saints, Saint John the Baptiste Archangels and Saint Spyridon. Overnight at Russian Skete of Saint Andrew.
Day 6 – Wednesday
Morning liturgy at Skete of St Andrew which belongs to the Monastery of Vatopedi. It is huge building complex that follows the architectural paradigm of the Athonian monasteries, called a skete because according to the customs and statute of Mount Athos it is not possible to found new monasteries, besides the one of the Byzantine era. It was built with the financial sponsorship of the Russian Czar and many Russian monks practiced ascetic life here. Transfer to Monastery Iveron on the northeast side of the peninsula. The monastery was founded in the last quarter of tenth century. It occupies the third rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. The katholikon is dedicated to the Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Afterthat we will visit the Monastery of Pantokrator, dedicated to the Transfiguration of Our Lord. After the fall of Byzantine empire, the monastery was financially supported by rulers of eastern Europe.
On the final, visit Monastery of Stavronikita the last of the monasteries built on Mount Athos and has shape of fortress.Into the treasure house are kept precious treasures, such as holy relics, liturgical vessels and crosses. Back to the Skete of Saint Andrew.
Day 7 – Thursday
Morning liturgy at Skete of St. Andrew, breakfast. Walking to Monastery Xeropotamou located in the south-west side of the peninsula and it is dedicated to the Forty Martyrs . The monastery was founded towards the end of the tent century, probably by the monk Pavlos Xeropotamenos. In the late Byzantine period it was supported by the Palaiologan Dynasty as well as Serbian rulers. The monastery features invaluable treasures, such as a fragment of the True Cross and relics of many saints. Transfer by bus to a port of Daphne and sail to Ouranopolis. Hotel Accommodation and dinner.
Day 8 – Friday
Transfer by bus very early morning to the airport Thessalonica or flight to USA.
The price includes:
- Bus transfers Thessaloniki airport – Ouranoupoli and Ouranoupoli – airport.
- 2 overnights in Ouranoupoli village at Hotel Pirgos or Makedonia or Princees ouranoupoli on BB basis.
- Licenced (male) English speaking guide throughout the program.
- Entrancees fees to enter at Mt Athos.(called “Diamonitiria” ).
- Tickets with of line boats (NOT private) as per program (Ouranoupoli’s port – Port Jovanica , port Jovanica – port Dafni , From Daphne – Ouranoupoli).
- All transfers inside Mt Athos as per program below.
- Accomodation – monasteries lounge in Mt. Athos.
- Any meal per program including monasteries food.
- Therefore we can arrange a dinner in a nice fish restaurant inside Ouranoupoli village (max 300-350 meter walking distance from hotel) with rate 25 euro pp / 4 course fish menou excluding drinks.
- New tax expected to be charge by new year – pls see also below at notes.
Transportation program inside MT Athos (our offer based)
- Day 3 port Jovanica – Monastery Chilandar.
- Day 4 No any transfer.
- Day 5 Chilandar – port Jovanica and Daphne- Karies.
- Day 6 FD from Sketae St Andrew – Monastery Iviron – Monastery Pantokrator-Monastery Stavronikita -Sketae St Andrew.
- Day 7 Monastery St Andrew to Moasntery Xiropotamou and from Xiropotamou – to Dafne.
- Note at 5th day at transportation from Dapnhe to Karies bus will end at Karies (from Karies to Monastery Koutloumousi and St Andrew is 300 meter so guest can go by foot).